Dr. Chuck J. Rylant has 25 years of industry experience and is a Federal and State Court qualified expert witness in use-of-force, de-escalation, self-defense, strangulation, memory, fight or flight, decision making, and other human performance factors.
He has a Doctor of Clinical Psychology–dissertation: Decisions Under Pressure: Psychological and Physiological Aspects of Police Use of Force.
Dr. Rylant is a retired police officer/detective, S.W.A.T. member, and P.O.S.T. certified firearms, baton, chemical agents, use of force, and arrest and control (ARCON) trainer, and certified Taser instructor.
Dr. Rylant was an instructor at a California police academy for 15 years where he taught arrest and control (ARCON), use-of-force, and de-escalation, and he is also a Certified Force Science Analyst and Advanced Force Science Specialist.
Dr. Rylant is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt instructor for law enforcement and civilians, as well as author of Shots Fired: The Psychology Behind Officer Involved Shootings.
Areas of expertise:
- Law enforcement use of force
- Civilian self-defense
- Arrest and control (ARCON)
- Deadly force encounters
- Strangulation / carotid restraint
- Fight or flight response
- Decision making under stress
- Firearm attacks
- Knife attacks
Some of Dr. Rylant’s qualifications include:
- Court qualified use of force expert witness
- P.O.S.T. academy use of force instructor
- P.O.S.T. academy ARCON instructor
- P.O.S.T. certified firearms instructor
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt
- Master L.A.P.D. Arrest & Control instructor
- Advance Force Science Specialist
- Certified Force Science Analysist
- #1 best selling author of Shots Fired: The Psychology Behind Officer Involved Shootings
- California P.O.S.T. advanced certificate
- Former SWAT member
Download professional CV here
Download Fee Schedule here
Contact Dr. Rylant here
Books by Dr. Rylant here