Dr. Chuck J. Rylant is a court-recognized expert in use-of-force, self-defense, strangulation, and human performance factors.
He has earned a doctorate in clinical psychology and conducted his dissertation research titled Decisions Under Pressure: Psychological and Physiological Aspects of Police Use of Force.
Dr. Rylant is a retired police officer/detective, S.W.A.T. member, and P.O.S.T. certified department firearms, baton, chemical agents, and arrest and control (ARCON) trainer.
He is currently a police academy master ARCON and use-of-force instructor, as well as an advanced Force Science Specialist.
He is also a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt instructor for law enforcement and civilians and a best-selling author of Shots Fired: The Psychology Behind Officer Involved Shootings.
Areas of expertise:
- Law enforcement use of force
- Civilian self-defense
- Arrest and control (ARCON)
- Deadly force encounters
- Strangulation / carotid restraint
- Fight or flight response
- Decision making under stress
- Firearm attacks
- Knife attacks
Some of Dr. Rylant’s qualifications include:
- Court qualified use of force expert witness
- P.O.S.T. academy use of force instructor
- P.O.S.T. academy ARCON instructor
- P.O.S.T. certified firearms instructor
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt
- Master L.A.P.D. Arrest & Control instructor
- Advance Force Science Specialist
- Certified Force Science Analysist
- #1 best selling author of Shots Fired: The Psychology Behind Officer Involved Shootings
- California P.O.S.T. advanced certificate
- Former SWAT member
Download professional CV here
Download Fee Schedule here
Contact Dr. Rylant here