There are many today who believe they have a constitutional right to not be offended—a right like free speech, freedom of religion, and freedom from unreasonable government searches.
Colleges are creating “safe spaces” to protect weak minded students from being exposed to uncomfortable ideas. When the safe spaces are inadequate, colleges are banning speakers who disagree with the facility’s ideology.
But when a threatening idea slips through the cracks, university students are being issued Play-Doh, coloring books, bubbles, and puppies to cope with their hurt feelings.
I wish I were joking, but all of this is real. I’ve seen it firsthand.
To be fair, colleges do not have a monopoly on this madness. While helicopter parents hover to protect their kiddos from scrapes, bruises, and hurt feelings, the state of Utah had to pass the “free-range parenting law” to prevent overzealous child welfare agents from prosecuting parents who still allow their kids to play outside unattended.Continue reading “On Becoming Fearless”
Post your questions in the comments, on any subject, and I will be glad to answer them in the next Q & A.
1. How do you overcome fear?
2. The statement “I was in fear for my life,” is frequently used as a legal defense in police shootings. Soldiers regularly exposed to traumatic events are less triggered or emotionally startled by similar events. This holds true with exposure theory and Exposure Therapy in psychology.
When I hear people say “I was I fear for my life” I question were you really in fear or you simply recognized a potentially dangerous situation. Is fear the qualifying factor that’s needs to be met or the recognition of a dangerous situation?
3. We all die one way or another. Is fear of death the fear of leaving your loved ones, or fear of the afterlife? As a Christian I believe in heaven, God, and seeing my loved ones again. I’m curious of other people’s opinion, even those who are not faith based.
4. These are times I fear my contribution in the world is not all that significant. I realize I’m not making a difference because I’m just a small pawn in a much larger game of chess. How do you manage that?
5. Why is the government not telling the public the truth about aliens in Area 51?